Nonprofit Grants 2020
Most non-profit organizations thrive only on grants given to them by the federal government or corporate bodies. Since they are not profiting making business, applying for a loan would be a wrong idea because they would need to pay back with interest. Grants, on the other hand, is free money that doesn’t need to be paid back. If you are looking for grants for your non-profit organization, you can start from one of the following:
- Federal government: the federal government has a lot of programs put in place to provide grants for different groups of people with different needs. There are grants targeted at non-profit organizations. You can check Grants.gov to check the list of available grants. You need to have a specific need or reason that must do with helping the society. You also need to ensure that you are eligible for the grant you are applying for, to avoid wasting your effort and time.
- Google: the internet is full of opportunities. One cannot imagine the unlimited opportunities one can find on the web. Take your time to research on Google using specific keywords that match what you are searching. Look for foundations that give out grants to non-profit organizations like yours. You can also search for organizations like yours that have received grants.
- Your board: this is a place to begin your search for grants. It might surprise you that one of your board members has links or connections to where you can obtain a grant. Call for a board meeting and tell them of your intention to apply for grants, tell them you would appreciate if anyone has an idea of how you can go about it.
Take your time to research and contact all the above; you would find a program that matches your situation.
What non-profit grants can be used?
Organizations that provide grants state specifically what the money can be utilized. You need to keep a record of how you spend the grant because you might be called upon to give a report of how the grants were spent. Non-profit grants can only be used for things related to the non-profit organization. It cannot be used for personal needs.
The body providing the grant states the type of non-profit organization that can apply for their grants. For example, one organization can provide a grant for non-profit agencies that take care of homeless children; another may only provide grants for NGOs that are concerned with providing education in remote areas. Ensure that you research into the grant you want to apply for to make sure that you are eligible.
Who is providing the grants?
Grants for nonprofit organizations.
- The federal government is the largest provider of grants. There are various programs put in place by the federal government to help non-profit organizations. Go to grants.gov to find out more about nonprofit grant
- The state government also provides grants for a non-profit organization in that state.
- Corporate bodies: The grants provided by corporate bodies are highly competitive, so you should prepare yourself for the task of applying into one.